Essential Management Skills
This course is designed for those newly appointed to a management role who wish to manage individuals effectively or those who have been in their role for a short time and wish to build upon their skills. This workshop will equip line managers with the essential skills and knowledge to transition to and perform in their role.
On completion of this course, attendees will be able to confidently perform as a manager, set objectives, manage performance, prioritise work, develop their people and delegate effectively.
Please note this is the standard course outline. For in-house training, we can bespoke this course to your specific needs.
- - The impact good managers have
- - The differences between management and leadership
- - The mind- set transition required from employee to manager
- - The 4 areas of management responsibility: Planning, organising, controlling and motivating
- - The management duties that are included in each area
- - What success looks like in each of these areas and self-assessment of current focus
- - The 3 perspectives a manager needs to have: individual, task and team
- - Task prioritisation – deciding which tasks to focus on
- - Introduction to the 5-point star model of performance management
- - Mission: Who we are and what we do, creating a compelling and aligning purpose statement for the team
- - Goals and targets: Why goals are important and why so many people fail to achieve their goals. The importance of the ‘golden thread’ approach to goal cascading. How to write effective goals and how to track them.
- - Job and behavioural expectations: How to write and communicate the rules of engagement for the team. The importance of clarity in roles and responsibilities.
- - Performance Feedback: What is feedback and the reasons behind our response to it. Feedback tools, Action Impact Do, SOAC and the ABC model
- - Differentiating team members: Changing styles of leadership based on the skill/will matrix. Setting and reviewing appropriate authority levels
- - Mapping the Communication styles of each of your team to help structure more effective communication with them
- - The benefits to you in developing your team
- - The key Learning methods – both formal and informal
- - How people learn – how to ensure that learning is embedded
- - Creating robust and engaging personal development plans – the necessary stages
- - The Grow coaching model – how to coach effectively
- - Delegation: the art of empowerment. Why managers find it so difficult and how to do it effectively
- - The Drexler- Sibbet team stage model
- - How to assess where the obstacles are for your team and how to move them onto the next stage
Included in the price:
- Lunch and refreshments
- Attendance certificate
Courses start at 9:00am and finish at 5:00pm